Is it always bad for a flashlight to be hot?

Views : 675
Update time : 2022-01-23 21:32:57

Is it always bad for a flashlight to be hot? The answer is not necessarily. If it is a low output flashlight that gets hot, then it means short-circuited. But if it’s a high output torch, then a bit hot is very normal.


Among the current lighting sources like laser, low output LED, fluorescent tube, halogen lamp, electric bulb light, the electro-optical conversion efficiency of high output LED is the highest. But among the high output LEDs, even the best electro-optical conversion efficiency is less than 40%. That means, the rest 60% of the electricity that doesn't emit light gets heated.


Additionally, the lost parts of the internal resistance, circuit resistance, control circuit board of the power supply have also produced heat.


Thus, the actual electro-optical conversion efficiency is only about one-third.


Besides, when the light goes through the reflector and lens, there is also a part of loss, which also causes hotness. Thus, when a 10W power supply works, more than 6W would give off heat. The heat must spread out via the shell in time. Otherwise, the internal temperature would rise sharply, which will not only damage the LED but also may cause the battery explosion. Giving off heat timely and efficiently is necessary for the flashlight to keep the chip calm, so as to ensure continuous lighting and maximize the product lifespan.


In addition, because of the rich blood vessels, the human hand is equivalent to a radiator, which can help the flashlight that is a little hot to dissipate heat quickly. So while the slightly hot flashlight gives you light, you also protect it.


Although we've got that being hot is normal for high output flashlights, we would also be suffered from uncomfortable hand feeling caused by the heat when we hold the flashlights. What can we do then? For FreasyGears lights, almost all of them are equipped with high output LEDs. On one hand, we only take premium LEDs from famous suppliers like CREE, Luminus, etc. On the other hand, we have intelligent overheat protection. When the light work on the Turbo mode for a few minutes, it will automatically step down to avoid overheating. Also, when the heat is over the safety data, the output will automatically step down to reduce heat. When the temperature is lower than the safety value, the output will gradually increase.

Related News
Why does a woman needs a flashlight?
Why does a woman needs a flashlight?
Feb .08.2023
Women may be at risk while walking in the dark due to an increased risk of violence and sexual assault, especially in poorly lit areas. Carrying a gun for personal safety is a contentious issue that can come with significant risks and responsibilities. In many places, carrying a weapon is illegal and in an attack situation, weapon-carry requires rapid deployment, knowledge of use, and willingness to use. Instead, a portable flashlight can be a good option for personal safety because it can provide light in dark or poorly lit areas, as well as temporarily blind or disorient an attacker. 
How to choose the right headlamp for your needs?
How to choose the right headlamp for your needs?
Dec .05.2022
Because of the hands-free functionality and flood beam profile, headlamps are often the preferred lighting tool of choice. However, there are hundreds of different headlamps to choose from on the market, and not all headlamps are created equal.

Firstly, consider the activities for which you intend to use your headlamp. Once you have a clear idea of how you intend to use your headlamp, consider what you require your light to do for you. Continue reading this headlamp buying guide to learn more about the popular applications and what factors to consider when purchasing a headlamp in order to make the best choice.
One Tip to tell the real performance of high-power lights
One Tip to tell the real performance of high-power lights
Jul .01.2022
Nowadays, a flashlight with thousands of lumens is quite common, but due to overheating issues, most can only stay in turbo mode for a few seconds. Even if it steps down to a lower level, it won't last long. A few high-quality flashlights, on the other hand, can stay in turbo mode for a few minutes at a few thousand lumens and then light up steadily for hours after stepping down to a lower, but still high lumen output. Do you understand why there is such a significant difference?
HS6R finished 200m deep cave rescue task
HS6R finished 200m deep cave rescue task
Jun .08.2022
On 2nd June, HS6R finished a 200m deep cave rescue task. After 34 hours of hard work, the 78-year-old man was finally taken home by Funing County Fire and Rescue Department from the deep cave. We wish to help more people in the future with powerful and reliable lights.